Most countries restrict the exports of specific products such as selected pharmaceutical products, armaments, animals, etc. At the same time governments may enter into international agreements that require the governments in question to exercise some control over the export of certain specified products to the partner countries as per the provisions of the agreement concerned (such as agricultural products to Europe or the export nuclear products, for example). Export permits also help to control the outflow of goods of strategic nature or of smuggled and stolen goods. To learn more about the reasoning behind export control, click here. To be able to export any of these prohibited products, the exporter is required to obtain an export permit. Export permits can be applied for from the International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC), part of the Department of Trade and Industry family of organisations. For a list of goods prohibited from export without an export permit, click here. To apply for an export permit, the exporter will need to complete form H91 and submit the form to the ITAC.

Additional links