The Internet is a powerful tool for the exporter to use. Indeed, we are adamant that no exporter should be without an Internet connection. The exporter would use this connection to:
- Communicate with other businesses using e-mail
- Market your goods international through your website, e-mail and other online channels
- Search for marketing information to help you with your export planning
- Maybe even transact sales online, selling direct to the foreign customer
We at ExportHelp plan to help you use the Internet more successful by providing you with tips and guidelines on how best to market yourself online. This topic is likely to grow into a big section on its own right and so we will start off slowly.
To begin with, if you know very little about the Internet, we suggest that you visit Learnthenet – one of our sister sites, which will provide you with a solid introduction to various aspects of the Internet.
We will focus our assistance in four main areas:
- Creating a suitable website for yourself
- Online communication
- Marketing yourself online (including e-mail marketing)
- Making use of electronic marketplaces, trading hubs, bulletin boards and portals
- Doing marketing research online
- Transacting sales online
We will create articles on each of these topics from time to time – keep an eye on this section. In the meantime, to whet your appetite, you may want to read the following articles:
- Exporting and the Internet: a conceptual perspective (limited access)
- The Internet and SME Exporting: Canadian Success Stories
- Using the internet to promote services exports by small- and medium-sized enterprises
- The role of the internet in export marketing
- Internationalization drivers of small and medium-sized manufacturing enterprises in Ethiopia: the case of leather and leather products industry
- Exploring the Internet and Internet Commerce Impact in the SME Internationalization:Evidence from Taiwan’s Market
- The role of the internet in the internationalisation of small and medium sized companies (limited access)
- The internet and internationalization of smaller manufacturing enterprises
- Using the Internet for Service Exporting: Tips for Service Firms
- How to start exporting with online marketplaces
- Online exporting: 5 steps to get your business ready
- Entrepreneurial orientation, commitment to the Internet and export performance in small and medium sized exporting firms
If you already have a website, then you may want to read up on internationalising your website.
E-marketplaces are wonderful tools for the aspirant exporter to use to find potential trading partners abroad. An increasing amount of global business is being conducted through these e-marketplaces. We strongly recommend that you begin exploring this marketing channel.
Click here to access our list of global e-marketplaces.