Application documents and other requirements
here: Step 9: Obtaining financing for your exports > EMIA > In-store promotions > Application documents and other requirements
Customs and Excise registration certificate
Businesses/individuals applying for EMIA assistance must be registered with the Commissioner of Customs & Excise. A copy of the exporter's registration certificate must be attached to all applications.
Proof of registration of the entity
The nature of the entity applying for assistance can an either be a Pty (Ltd) company, a Closed Corporation, a Sole Proprietor, a Partnership, an Association, or a Trust. The following information is required in respect of each type of entity:
- In the case of an entity registered as Ltd, (Pty) Ltd a copy an Incorporation certificate and certificates in respect of all name changes made.
- In the case of an entity registered as CC, a copy of the Founding statement and amended statements confirming name changes made.
- Sole proprietors must submit a certified copy of a South African identity document with all applications for EMIA assistance. Foreigners must submit certified copies of their passports and proof of registration with the South African Revenue Services.
- A copy of the Partnership agreement in the case of a Partnership.
- Articles of Association or other proof in the case of an Industry Association.
- Documentary proof of the establishment of a Trust.
Applicants must provide a full-colour product brochure. The brochure must be printed on good quality paper, EMIA also accepts a CD ROM format. The brochure must contain the following information:
- The entity name and logo.
- International contact details.
- Carefully edited pictures of the products.
- Description of products and the international specifications where applicable.
- An export-trading house or commission agent can either submit their own brochure reflecting all products represented or those of the entities represented.
The following financial documentation is required:
- Entities are required to provide the latest audited financial statements
- In the case of a Close Corporation the latest financial statements signed off by the accounting officer
- In the case of sole proprietors, bank statements for the last three (3) months
- The latest financial statements must be prepared and signed off by registered accountants. If the latest financial statements are not available, after a period exceeding six (6) months from the financial year-end of the entity, the registered accountant must provide the reasons for non-availability. In addition to this the applicant should provide EMIA with audited financials pertaining to the previous financial year
Export marketing plan
An export-marketing plan must accompany all applications for EMIA assistance. Please refer to the application form for a Guide in developing an export marketing plan. Please ensure that the following topics are included in the marketing plan:
- The export market
- Analysis of the product, price, promotion strategies and distribution channels
- Viability of the product, expected competition and any trade barriers
In-store promotion description
The group of participating firms will need to provide a description of the planned event, including:
- The nature of the products to be exhibited by participating businesses at the in-store promotion
- The expected profile and numbers of the buyers and visitors
- Mention of the expected interaction between buyers and sellers
- Information on the status of the partner store
Air ticket quotations
Customers must obtain two (2) quotations from the EMIA Preferred Service Providers (PSP's), as well as an additional quotation from a service provider of choice.
The following criteria will be followed in accepting a quotation:
- Only the lowest quotation will be considered for reimbursement
- EMIA will not be responsible for any cancellation fees or any additional costs, which are incurred due to travel deviations. All additional costs will be borne by the applicant
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to make the arrangements for air-tickets. This includes the booking, issue and delivery stages
Freight forwarding quotations
It is the responsibility of the applicant to arrange freight forwarding quotations for the transport of samples and/or promotional materials. The applicant must obtain two (2) quotations from each of EMIA's preferred service providers and a third from a service provider of choice. Only the cheapest quote will be reimbursed. See the table below for a list of PSPs.
|| Contact person
|Krew Trans-Link IEL (Pty) Ltd
||Mr Mike Weeks
||+27 (11) 396 1494 /5
|Sebenza Forwarding & Shipping Consultancy (Pty) Ltd
||Mr Richard Harper
||+27 (12) 665 1141
|Exhibitions Freighting GSM CC
||Mr Clive Nels
||+27 (21) 556 2270
Preferred Service Provider disclaimer: Please note that EMIA does not accept any liability relating to the non-performance or service delivery of the appointed PSPs pertaining to air and travel arrangements.
Entities that are outsourcing their manufacturing process will only qualify on submission of formal outsourcing agreement(s) between the entity and the manufacturer(s); or other proof substantiating that the entity is the legal owner of the product/design or patent.
Supplementary information required with the application form
The following additional information is required in respect of the in-store promotions scheme:
- Three quotations from different service providers for marketing materials (the lowest quote is accepted)
- The signed agreement with the foreign retail outlet
- Motivation from Sector Desk at thedti
- Letter of Support from the foreign office representative in a specific country or from Trade and Investment South Africa's International Operations Unit (IOU)