Application documents and other requirements
here: Step 9: Obtaining financing for your exports > EMIA > Individual Inward Bound Missions (IIBM) > Application documents and other requirements
Customs and Excise registration certificate
Businesses/individuals applying for EMIA assistance must be registered with the Commissioner of Customs & Excise. A copy of the registration certificate must be attached to all applications.
Proof of registration of the entity
The nature of the entity applying for assistance c an either be a Pty (Ltd) company, a Closed Corporation, a Sole Proprietor, a Partnership, an Association, or a Trust. The following information is required in respect of each type of entity:
- In the case of an entity registered as Ltd, (Pty) Ltd a copy an Incorporation certificate and certificates in respect of all name changes made.
- In the case of an entity registered as CC, a copy of the Founding statement and amended statements confirming name changes made.
- Sole proprietors must submit a certified copy of a South African identity document with all applications for EMIA assistance. Foreigners must submit certified copies of their passports and proof of registration with the South African Revenue Services.
- A copy of the Partnership agreement in the case of a Partnership.
- Articles of Association or other proof in the case of an Industry Association.
- Documentary proof of the establishment of a Trust.
Thedti would like to have a brochure on the visiting entity, which must be printed on good quality paper, EMIA also accepts a CD ROM format. The brochure must contain the following information:
- The entity's name and logo.
- International contact details.
- Carefully edited pictures of the products.
- Description of products and the international specifications where applicable.
- An export-trading house or commission agent can either submit their own brochure reflecting all products represented or those of the entities represented.
The following financial documentation is required:
- Entities are required to provide the latest audited financial statements
- In the case of a Closed Corporation the latest financial statements signed off by the accounting officer
- In the case of sole proprietors, bank statements for the last three (3) months
- The latest financial statements must be prepared and signed off by registered accountants. If the latest financial statements are not available, after a period exceeding six (6) months from the financial year-end of the entity, the registered accountant must provide the reasons for non-availability. In addition to this the applicant should provide EMIA with audited financials pertaining to the previous financial year
Export marketing plan
All though not specifically mentioned in the EMIA guidelines, thedti may ask for an export-marketing plan accompany applications for EMIA in respect of IIBM assistance. Please refer to the application form for a guide to developing an export marketing plan. Please ensure that the following topics are included in the marketing plan for IIBM if a plan is requested:
- The export market
- Analysis of the product, price, promotion strategies and distribution channels
- Viability of the product, expected competition and any trade barriers
Air ticket quotations
Customers must obtain three (3) quotations; two (2) quotations from the EMIA Preferred Service Providers (PSP's) - see below, as well as an additional quotation from a service provider of choice.
The following criteria will be followed in accepting a quotation:
- Only the lowest quotation will be considered for reimbursement
- EMIA will not be responsible for any cancellation fees or any additional costs, which are incurred due to travel deviations. All additional costs will be borne by the applicant
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to make the arrangements for air-tickets. This includes the booking, issue and delivery stages
Preferred Service Provider Disclaimer
Please note that EMIA does not accept any liability relating to the non-performance or service delivery of the appointed Preferred Service Providers pertaining to air and travel arrangements.
Additional Documentation required from an Export Trading House, Commission agent or Industry Association
Applications for assistance by Industry Associations, Export Councils or Joint Action Groups, must supply:
- Brochures of at least five (5) South African businesses
- Letters of permission to represent these businesses at this event
- Details in terms of export capacity on the application form of the five (5) companies represented at the event
Commission Agents, on the other hand, must supply copies of their agency agreements with three (3) SMME's or HDI's that they represent, while Export Trading Houses (ETH), must supply letters confirming permission from three (3) SMME's or HDI's which the ETH represents. These agency agreements/letters of representation must accompany the application.
Entities that are outsourcing their manufacturing process will only qualify on submission of formal outsourcing agreement(s) between the entity and the manufacturer(s); or other proof substantiating that the entity is the legal owner of the product/design or patent.
Motivation for Individual Inward Buying Mission assistance
A motivation for the Inidividual Inward Buying Mission must be documented and submitted with the application. This motivation must include:
- Objectives of the mission
- The market potential of the industry in the country of the visiting buyer
- Any import restruictions applicable in the country of the visiting buyer
- The export potential of the industry or products concerned
Other supporting documentation requiredd for Individual Inward Buying Missions
The following documentation is required for the specific purpose of applying for Individual Inward Buying Missions:
- Applicants must submit a detailed intinerary with the application and the itinerary must incorporate clearly set out objectives of daily activities
- A profile of the invited company such as a website address etc., as well as a letter from the foreign company confirming the designation of the buyer/investor
- Three (3) air ticket quotations; two (2) from EMIA's preferred service providers and a third from a service provider of choice