Application documents and other requirements
here: Step 9: Obtaining finances for your exports > EMIA > Individual Exhibitions > Application documents and other requirements
Customs and Excise registration certificate
Businesses/individuals applying for EMIA assistance must be registered with the Commissioner of Customs & Excise. A copy of the exporter's registration certificate must be attached to all applications.
Proof of registration of the entity
The nature of the entity applying for assistance can an either be a Pty (Ltd) company, a Closed Corporation, a Sole Proprietor, a Partnership, an Association, or a Trust. The following information is required in respect of each type of entity:
- In the case of an entity registered as Ltd, (Pty) Ltd a copy an Incorporation certificate and certificates in respect of all name changes made.
- In the case of an entity registered as CC, a copy of the Founding statement and amended statements confirming name changes made.
- Sole proprietors must submit a certified copy of a South African identity document with all applications for EMIA assistance. Foreigners must submit certified copies of their passports and proof of registration with the South African Revenue Services.
- A copy of the Partnership agreement in the case of a Partnership.
- Articles of Association or other proof in the case of an Industry Association.
- Documentary proof of the establishment of a Trust.
Applicants must provide a full-colour product brochure. The brochure must be printed on good quality paper, EMIA also accepts a CD ROM format. The brochure must contain the following information:
- The entity name and logo.
- International contact details.
- Carefully edited pictures of the products.
- Description of products and the international specifications where applicable.
- An export-trading house or commission agent can either submit their own brochure reflecting all products represented or those of the entities represented.
The following financial documentation is required:
- Entities are required to provide the latest audited financial statements
- In the case of a Closed Corporation the latest financial statements signed off by the accounting officer
- In the case of sole proprietors, bank statements for the last three (3) months
- The latest financial statements must be prepared and signed off by registered accountants. If the latest financial statements are not available, after a period exceeding six (6) months from the financial year-end of the entity, the registered accountant must provide the reasons for non-availability. In addition to this the applicant should provide EMIA with audited financials pertaining to the previous financial year
Export marketing plan
An export-marketing plan must accompany all applications for EMIA assistance. Please refer to the application form for guidelines in developing an export marketing plan (alternatively you can click here to see these gudielines online). Please ensure that the following topics are included in the marketing plan:
- The export market
- Analysis of the product, price, promotion strategies and distribution channels
- Viability of the product, expected competition and any trade barriers
An exhibition brochure defining the date and nature of the event must accompany applications for Individual Exhibition assistance. The exhibition brochure should include:
- The nature of products exhibited by participating businesses
- Mention of interaction between buyers and sellers
- The profile of the buyers and visitors
- An additional program clearly indicating the dates of the exhibition should the exhibition run concurrently with a conference
- The size of the event, including the number of participants and the number of visitors
- Information on the international status of the exhibition
Air ticket quotations
HDI and SMME applicants must obtain two (2) quotations for air travel from the EMIA Preferred Service Providers (PSP's), as well as an additional quotation from a service provider of choice.
The following criteria will be followed in accepting a quotation:
- Only the lowest quotation will be considered for reimbursement
- EMIA will not be responsible for any cancellation fees or any additional costs, which are incurred due to travel deviations
- All additional costs will be borne by the applicant
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to make the arrangements for air-tickets (this includes the booking, issue and delivery stages)
Freight forwarding quotations
It is the responsibility of the applicant to arrange freight forwarding quotations for the transport of samples and/or promotional materials. The applicant must obtain two (2) quotations from each of EMIA's preferred service providers and a third from a service provider of choice. Only the cheapest quote will be reimbursed. See the table below for a list of Preferred Service Providers (PSP's).
|| Contact person
|Krew Trans-Link IEL (Pty) Ltd
||Mr Mike Weeks
||+27 (11) 396 1494 /5
|Sebenza Forwarding & Shipping Consultancy (Pty) Ltd
||Mr Richard Harper
||+27 (12) 665 1141
|Exhibitions Freighting GSM CC
||Mr Clive Nels
||+27 (21) 556 2270
Preferred Service Provider Disclaimer
Please note that EMIA does not accept any liability relating to the non-performance or service delivery of the appointed PSPs pertaining to air and travel arrangements.
Additional Documentation required from an Export Trading House, Commission Agent or Industry Association
Applications for assistance by Industry Associations, Export Councils or Joint Action Groups on behalf of the businesses they represent, must supply:
- Brochures of at least five (5) South African businesses
- Letters of permission to represent these businesses at this event
- Details in terms of export capacity on the application form of the five (5) companies represented at the event
Commission Agents that will be representing HDIs or SMMEs, on the other hand, must supply copies of their agency agreements with three (3) SMME's or HDI's that they represent, while Export Trading Houses (ETH) representing HDIs or SMMEs must supply letters confirming permission from three (3) SMME's or HDI's which the ETH represents. These agency agreements/letters of representation must accompany the application.
Other supporting documentation required:
Entities that are outsourcing their manufacturing process will only qualify on submission of:
- Formal outsourcing agreement(s) between the entity and the manufacturer(s), or
- Other proof substantiating that the entity is the legal owner of the product/design or patent.